Hawks Falter against Fast Fylde Fifteen


Henley Hawks 21 pts Fylde 32 pts

Henley Scorers: Tries – Carter, Comben (2) Conversions – Comben (2)

Fylde Scorers: Tries – Brennamd, Johnson, Bath, Bartonwood Conversions – Johnson 3,
Penalty – Johnstone, Drop Goal – Johnson


Henley Hawks retuned to Dry Leas following a moral boosting if nervous victory at Worthing only to lose for the second time in three games at Dry Leas which had been their fortress when winning promotion from Division 2 (South) last season. They have struggled to find consistency in the higher grade of Division 1.


It had been acknowledged that both sides revelled in fast open play and those who watched this game were not disappointed as far as the tempo of the game was concerned with play sometimes sweeping from one end of he ground to the other. The first time this happened was within two minutes of the start when the Hawks were pressing forward with Fylde hard put to defend their line attempting to clear it by a kick to touch. This was partially charged down by a Hawks forward only for the ball to fall clear. The visitors took full advantage of this with the speed and crisp handling which was a feature of their game through out. Feeding the ball 20 metres out from the Hawks’ line their high scoring wing Oliver Brennand burst through two ineffective tackles to touch down close to the posts 75 metres away which fly-half Chris Johnson converted to put Fylde seven points in the lead.


This early score gave the visitors a momentum which they maintained for almost the whole of the first half. They were brisk in their handling and backed up the ball carrier who off-loaded effectively. Although the Hawks forwards held sway in the set scrums and generally controlled their own line outs tidily they found it difficult to stretch the Fylde defence although driving mauls were the best means of doing this and they were held up over the line on one occasion.


The Hawks also found it difficult to understand referee Fergus Kirby’s interpretation of the laws in the maul situation and when the ball was on the ground, in rucks. Fylde took advantage of this to stop the Hawks sustaining attacks and used numerous penalties conceded by the Hawks to tap and go through lively scrum-half Ryan de la Harpe. By this means were able to make the most of attacking opportunities and stretched their lead to 14-0 after18 minutes when Johnson found a gap on the blind side of a scrum ten metres out.


This set-back was an example of the visitor’s ability to turn such opportunities into scores which the Hawks found difficult having possession turned over when making progress and on one occasion   being baffled when referee Kirby penalised them for crossing in a handling movement in mid-field. In contrast when Fylde launched an attack in the Hawks 22 they swiftly handled the ball to give wing Ben Bath the room to take the score to 19-0.


The Hawks came back from this and some strong running was seen from Dai Maddosks, Lam O’Neill and Danny Wells but these were not co-ordinated well enough to breach a solid  hard tackling Fylde defence. Again, in contrast, as half-time approached, hooker Tom Burtonwood finished a move over 25 metres to crash over for Johnson to make the score 26-0.


There was time, however, for the Hawks to show what they were capable of, when just before the break they forced a scrum on Fylde’s five metre line for scrum-half Luke Carter to use his strength  and guile to force his way over for James Comben, in excellent kicking form, to convert to make the half-time score 26-7.


The second half began with the Hawks showing what they could do with the ball in hand and for the next 20 minutes made the visitors look a different team with their confidence shaken to a degree by the Hawks handling and running. They still could not give their wings enough of the ball to make use of the speed of both Jarryd Robinson and O’Neill. However it was Comben, in the scoring form that he showed  against Worthing, that on  two occasions he caught the Fylde centres on the wrong foot  to touch down and with his conversions take the score 26-21 and bring his total of points in the game to 16. The Hawks were now looking to turn the match. Skipper, Martin Nutt managed to thrust through the Fylde defensive shield on a couple of occasions but these individual thrusts came to naught in the visitors ten metre zone.


However the opportunity to win the game and at least get one or two bonus points melted away, as Fylde, down to 14 men, with the despatch of No.8 Robert Stewart to the sin bin after 66 minutes, for the first time held their own in the set scrums although a Johnson penalty had put them clear at 29-21. The Hawks with a man advantage tried to use the forwards through driving mauls and close play to get a vital fourth try and anxiety was evident in their play as their possession was turned over and their backs ignored.


The game was all over for the Hawks in the 72nd minute when Johnson sealed a match winning performance by dropping a neat goal from in front of the posts. Thereafter it was Fylde who came nearest to scoring when on at least two occasions a scrambling Hawks ‘ defence had to keep them out.


The Hawks have two tough games ahead of them between now and Christmas. Their league position would be more comfortable if they could win at least one of these as a prelude to more consistent performances in the second half of the season.


Henley Hawks

15. Martin Nutt, 14. Liam O’Neill, 13. Tom Allen, 12. Danny Wells, 11. Jaryd Robinson, 10. James Comben (Neil Bagett 80) 9. Luke Carter, 1. Dai Maddocks (Sam Steventon 75), 4. Will Woodward, 5. Josh McNally (Tommy Haynes 70), 6. Liam Dwyer, 7. Ryan Long, 8. Robbie Stapley


Subs Not Used Jim Hadfield, Connor Stapley