The Red Kites Pay Tribute to Mick Keeley

Henley Town Football ClubThe ‘Bluefin Sports’ Hellenic League Challenge Cup 2nd Round

Henley Town 2 Wootton Bassett Town 3

Before the ‘Bluefin Sports Hellenic League Challenge Cup 2nd round match kicked off at the Triangle ground on Saturday the players, officials and supporters held a minutes silence in respect of Mick Keeley the former club grounds man who died recently.

After all the recent heavy rain the pitch was very heavy and wasn’t conducive to passing football and right from the start Wootton Bassett adopted to playing the long ball and after only 1 minutes play they took the lead when the speedy Lewis Chatwin outpaced the Red Kites defence down the right wing to slot the ball past a helpless less Graham Sims. From the restart the Red Kites attacked at the other end and with only the Wiltshire side’s goalkeeper to beat Sean Moore wasted what seemed to be a gift when he shot well over the bar and into the car park. The game was end the end and after 10 minutes Henley equalised when their exciting 17 year old former Wycombe Wanderers Academy player Asa Povey unleashed a shot from 25 yards to beat Ben Mitchell in the Bassett goal.

The game was very even and competitive but the heavy conditions meant tackles were sliding in making it very difficult for the Referee to judge if they were fair and he cautioned 4 players from Henley and two from the visitors. Graham Sims in the Henley goal had to make several top class saves to stop the Premier Division outfit from going ahead and Ben Mitchell had to do likewise at the other end. With the game looking to go into the interval on level terms the referee and his assistant made a match turning decision when he awarded Wootton Bassett a penalty for hand ball. The Red kites Players crowded the referee saying it was a Bassett player who handled the ball and incident was outside the area. The Referee didn’t consult his assistant and after a long delay the Wootton Bassett skipper Stephen Yearsdley converted to put his side 2-1 up at half time.

After the break the game continued to be very open with both sides having chances. Sean Moore was causing problems down the left flank for the Red Kites but the end product wasn’t enough to get the vital goals. In the 55th minute Wootton Bassett scored again to make it 3-1 when a defence splitting pass from Chatwin left the Henley Town rearguard flat footed for Joe Hiscock to calmly slot the ball past Graham Sims. Although the visitors play in a division above Henley and apart from Wootton Bassets more clinical finishing the difference between the teams was minimal.

The match was a typical cup tie and Henley continued to claw their way back into the game and in the 80th minute the skilful Asa Povey kept close control to work his way into the 6 yard box to notch his second goal to make the score 3-2. Sean Moore then picked up his second yellow card and was sent off but although being a player short Henley pushed forward for the equaliser to take the match into extra time but the Bassett defence stood firm to move into the 3rd round.

Team; Graham Sims: Ryan Holmes, Mitch Cooper, Warren Baxter, Richard Thomas: Grant Kemp, Asa Povey, Ryan Witt, Sean Moore; Matt Godwin, Louis Howell.

Subs: Billy Gordon, Sam Cripps, Dan Faherty (all used)

Referee. Harry Moore (Kidlington)