Are you a home grower/baker/pickler/jammer/forager/bee-keeper/chicken keeper/brewer/allotmenteer then come to the Henley Food Swap on Saturday 29 April with some of your delicacies to exchange with other local home producers and go home laden with other lovingly made goodies to stock your cupboards. The event is being held at the Henley Seat Cadets, HQ, Eyot Boat Centre, Wargrave Road from 10.30am to 12 noon.
Not only is Food Swapping highly enjoyable, it also contributes in a small way to “green” issues like local community, the environment, organic and trustworthy food, sourcing our food locally, and greater independence from large corporations.
How a Food Swap works:
Food swapping is a collaborative, community-based activity. No money changes hands, the currency is your home produce! A Food Swap event is around 1 and half hours long, the first half hour is for greeting, displaying your stuff, completing ‘swap cards’ for each item of produce you’ve brought, setting up some tasting samples etc. The next half hour is for chatting, tasting, perusing the available items and making written ‘bids’ on the Swap Cards. Around an hour into proceedings we make an announcement and everyone heads back to their goods to see who’s expressed interest…. and then the fun begins! Using the cards as a basis for negotiating, you finalise your swaps – and rapidly find yourself with a stash of fantastic produce to take home.
A few Food Swap tips:
- Arrive at the start (or as close as you can) – so you don’t miss out on potential swaps.
- Batches are good – the more items you bring, the more you take home. So, if you bring one cake, you’d get to take home one jar of jam (say). If you bring three cakes and a jar of chutney from your larder, you’d be able to take home that jar of jam, plus a sourdough loaf, a bag of organic apples and some granola…… so the more the merrier definitely works!
- The unit of exchange is roughly 6 eggs or a jar of jam. So please package your items to be equivalent in effort or value to one “unit”.
- Please also do come on time, as the swapping happens all at once and we would hate for you to arrive once we have all completed our swaps.
- Think about packaging your items up so that they can be easily transported by other swappers – and feel free to make them look attractive too!
For more information on Food Swaps visit www.applesforeggs.com