Regatta Fireworks Still in Doubt

Organisers of the Henley Regatta fireworks have confirmed that they are still not over the “target line” to fund this year’s display even though some individuals and businesses have pledged and donated money after last week’s appeal when they announced they only had half the money they required for the £12,000 display.

Richard Reed, one of the organisers said, “We’d like to thank all the individuals and businesses who have given money over the last week which have included a donation of £1,000 by Leander Club and a lovely donation of £500 from ex-resident Peter Adams who left Henley in 1950 but still loves all things Henley.  We do though still need more money to take us over that line for the fireworks to take place on the Saturday of Regatta.”

We asked Sir Steve Redgrave, Chair of Regatta’s Committee of Management on Monday what he thought about the possibility of the fireworks not taking place.  He replied “Traditionally the town has always done the fireworks and in the past we have given the land and every year a significant donation. As a traditionalist, and for something that has been going for over hundred years, it would be real shame if the fireworks didn’t happen this year.”  Asked whether the organisers could have a bucket collection during Regatta, Sir Steve said, “That’s been allowed in the past.”

If you feel passionate about keeping this long standing tradition, you can make a donation to the Henley Fireworks Fund via BACS to Lloyds Bank. Sort code: 30 80 54. Account number: 18827960.

0 comments

Leave a Comment

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.