Hurricanes Take Honours in Local Derby

Henley Hurricanes U9’s came out 6-2 winners in a keenly contested derby cup match against the Henley Hotspurs U9’s.

The Hurricanes started well with some good possession and early chances for Josh Ashford and Charlie Myers, but good goalkeeping kept the score goalless. However, the Hurricances were awarded for their early pressure when a Corben Galloway dribble and shot took a deflection off a Hotspur’s defender into the net. The Hotpsurs reacted to the goal and started to look dangerous on the break. Some good defending from Isaac Walmsley broke up the Hotpsur’s attacks, but after an excellent free kick from Theo Decardi-Nelson went just wide, a quick Hotspurs break through the middle ended with Decardi-Nelson sweeping the ball home from the edge of the penalty area to make it 1-1 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was to turn out to be the defining quarter of the game. The Hurricanes started strongly and quickly went 2-1 up with a powerful shot from Galloway after a good move down the right. This soon became 3-1 when Harry Biggs found the bottom corner, and it could have been four straight afterwards when a fierce Biggs shot produced an excellent save. However, both Galloway and Biggs continued to have attempts at the Hotspurs goal and both scored again to take it to 5-1. Archie Butlin could have made it six but his shot from distance went just over the bar. Meanwhile, excellent tackling from Rupert Arsyad in midfield helped to contain the Hotspurs, but they rallied towards the end of the quarter and had two attempts at goal which both went narrowly over the crossbar. Half time and it was 5-1 to the Hurricanes.

The third quarter started with more Hurricanes pressure, Freddy Estornel forcing an excellent save before a powerful cross from Myers was unfortunately turned into his own net by a Hotspurs defender to make it 6-1. Some lovely passing play down the left hand side led to a Biggs shot being saved by the goalkeeper diving low to his left. At the other end, excellent anticipation from the Hurricanes goalkeeper, George Beesley, helped to break up the Hotspurs attacks, and Beesley produced a good save to deny Decardi-Nelson. The quarter ended with a great cross from Ashford leading to a Myers shot being saved by the goalkeeper.

The fourth quarter was keenly contested, with the Hotspurs looking more dangerous but some tough tackling by Biggs helped to keep them out. At the other end, both Leo Palmer and Beesley had good shots saved, and some great defending from Arthur Massie kept the Hurricanes at bay. A free kick to the Hotspurs led to an excellent save with the rebound from Alf Monsen going narrowly over. The Hotspurs were gaining momentum and were rewarded with a second goal at the end of the game when a cross from the left was turned in from close range, making the final score 6-2.

Both teams played excellently in a hard fought game, and at the end all of the boys came together on the pitch for a celebration and well deserved treats!

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.