Undefeated Hurricanes Put Six Past Bracknell Cavaliers

Bracknell Cavaliers Saints 0-6 Henley Hurricanes (U9’s)

Henley Hurricanes U9’s extended their winning run to eight games with a convincing 6-0 win at Bracknell Cavaliers Saints. It was a physical Bracknell side who started the game stronger but some tough tackling by Charlie Cooper in defence and great anticipation from goalkeeper George Beesley coming out of his area to clear the ball helped to break up the Bracknell attacks. Henley started to take control of the game with Harry Biggs combining well with both Rupert Arsyad and Lorenzo Nicoletti-Dowd to create scoring opportunities, and it was Freddy Estornel who opened the scoring with a mazy dribble through the Bracknell defence and a tidy finish. Henley were now creating some good chances with some lovely passing moves with Biggs, Estornel and Nicoletti-Dowd all combining well together. Arsyad nearly made it two with a lovely run into the Bracknell penalty area but his shot went just wide. In defence, a combative Cooper continued to make some great tackles and clearances to snub out the Bracknell attacks.

Henley started the second quarter strongly and soon went 2-0 up when Nicoletti-Dowd was left with a tap in after good play from Estornel on the right wing. Bracknell were finding it difficult to get past Isaac Walmsley in midfield who was making some great tackles, and in combination with Cooper they were proving to be a very effective defensive duo. When Bracknell did manage to launch a quick counter attack, Beesley was there to make a great save to deny Bracknell their opening goal. Henley made it 3-0 after a powerful Charlie Myers shot came back off the crossbar and Leo Palmer reacted quickest to tap in the rebound from close range.

The third quarter started with Henley attacking, Biggs going close with a two long range efforts. The fourth goal came shortly afterwards when an Estornel cross was deflected into the net by a Bracknell defender. Henley continued to push with Biggs providing some defence splitting passes to help create attacking opportunities. Arsyad drove well into the penalty area but the Bracknell defender managed to make a last ditch tackle to prevent a likely goal. Arsyad and Biggs then combined down the right with some lovely passing between each other resulting in a Biggs shot forcing a good save from the goalkeeper. Biggs had a couple of further near misses before making it 5-0 with a cushioned left foot shot into the corner of the net following a cross from Estornel.

The final quarter saw more attacking from Henley. Estornel going close with a rebound from a Palmer shot, before he made it 6-0 after a good run into the penalty area. Henley threatened further goals, a great run and cross from Myers narrowly evaded Palmer with what would have been a simple tap in, Myers then tested the goalkeeper with an angled drive and Nicoletti-Dowd forced the goalkeeper into another save. Bracknell carried a little more attacking threat but again Cooper and Walmsley were solid in defence.

It was another well-deserved win for the Hurricanes against sometimes physical opponents, but the boys handled this well and through great teamwork and effort ran out comfortable winners.