The Henley Herald is supporting the work by resident Amanda Chumas to get Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) to introduce a Traffic Restriction Order in Henley to reduce the number of HGVs coming into the town and have started an online petition.
Last week we published an article highlighting the terrible affect the HGVs are having on our town which not only includes the obvious like air pollution but also the increase in noise, damage to listed buildings and dangers to pedestrians when the lorries mount the pavements to get round our narrow streets.
To help with the campaign, Amanda and the Herald urge you to sign the petition at https://www.change.org/p/oxfordshire-county-council-traffic-regulation-order-to-ban-hgvs-in-henley
Resident, Clive Hemsley has copied us in on a letter he has written to County Councillor, Stefan Gawrysiak and MP John Howell (below):
Amanda should be given your full support not only for her idea but clearly her legal mind can deal with this serious matter – only Amanda must get all the support from both town (Henley Town Council HTC), South Oxfordshire District Council (SODC) and Oxfordshire County Council (OCC).
I completely agree with Amanda’s comments and add:
- There is ample evidence to conclude banning HGVs using the grade 1 bridge and other streets as a shortcut.
- I’ve spoken to Stefan for many years about this problem and explained that technology is already here so legitimate lorries can carry transponders etc. so genuine vehicles no matter how big can use our bridge. Other towns use this system.
- As you both know I got into a lot of trouble (even personal threats) because I went and put temporary LED lighting on the bridge. Alas I lost two rounds with SODC and Wokingham DC but OCC (who own the bridge) did recommend it. I know this is not totally relevant but the damage to the bridge is caused by 1, boats hitting it 2, lorries shaking it to bits. And believe me there is considerable damage to the bridge having commissioned a full survey on the bridge last year.
- I can confirm with Amanda living in Longlands House on Hart Street that the noise level has gone up 10 fold over the last 10 years and pollution test monitors placed outside my house confirmed we were 4 x times over the EUC limit/recommendations. Yes literally 4x times and the same would apply to Bell Street and Duke Street.
- The living wall on the east side of the house I put up 2 years ago is fighting the pollution. I replaced 20% of the plants last weekend simply because of the dried up plant leaves fighting the atmosphere – any botanist would confirm this.
- Stefan it took 2.5 years to get the HTC to finally agree with the concept of LEDs on the bridge – something that simple the HTC took forever – How can the HTC give Amanda continued support?
- I like Amanda could give you hundreds of photographic samples of traffic violations with these monster trucks.