Henley 4s Move Into The Top Two

Henley Mens 4th XI returned to play following the lockdown with a 3-0 win away to Milton Keynes 4s.

With the hosts sitting mid table, it was important that Henley started well and the team responded brightly, taking the game to the hosts. The 4s have been bringing Colts into key positions during the season and the young midfield of Louis Poundall, Max Hems, Oli Warren and Chris Batey immediately took control, causing the hosts lots of problems and creating opportunities for the forward line. However, whilst Henley had Milton Keynes under a lot of pressure, a combination of good goalkeeping and some missed chances meant they failed to score before the break. And whilst the hosts struggled to get into the game, they were nevertheless threatening on the break and the

Henley defence played well to keep them under control and, on the occasions they did get a chance on goal, Keeper, Ed Hems was up to the challenge, pulling off one particularly good save high to his left.

At half time the team talk was calm and positive, with the team being asked for more of the same in the second half. That message was clearly the right one with Henley’s first goal coming soon after the break. Having put the Milton Keynes under pressure once again, a short corner quickly came which was converted by Phil Biggs, whose strong shot from the top of the D could only be half saved by the home Keeper, before deflecting onto a defender’s foot and into the goal. Whilst the 4s had remained calm to that point, the relief at scoring could be sensed and the team relaxing slightly helped the flow of attacking play. Henley’s second came following a break by Max Hems who found Andy Farrow on the right-hand side of the “D”. Farrow then drove towards goal before striking the ball high into the roof of the net from a tight angle. 

The game was then killed off by another Farrow strike. Once again, the Henley midfield was instrumental with Poundall, Warren and Batey combining to find Ian Rechner
on the left, whose cross was swept in from close range by Farrow. 

With 15 minutes to go, the hosts kept trying to push forward and had a couple of short corners of their own in the closing stages. However, the Henley back line was up to the task, making a number of timely interventions and holding out for another clean sheet. 

With a number of league matches postponed, the 4s win saw them move to second in the table.