Hawks Overpowered by Redruth

Redruth 43-21 Henley Hawks

Henley made the 450 mile round trip to Redruth on Saturday but sadly they were not able to replicate the performance which saw the two sides draw at Dry Leas a few week ago. The squad left on Friday night staying in Exeter for a shorter journey the following day.

With nearly a thousand spectators in the ground and some late enforced changes, Henley knew this was going to be a tough assignment. As in previous weeks they got off to the best possible start as a trade mark lineout and drive enabled Tom Emery to touch down after just 7 minutes. Monty Bradbury converted and the visitors were leading.

It wasn’t long however before Redruth got their powerful game going and an offside offence allowed for a simple penalty conversion to narrow the gap to four points.

The home side were obviously buoyed by this score and started to put pressure on the visitors defence with some direct and powerful running. For the most part the Henley defence held firm but penalties were being conceded at ruck time and this enabled the kick into the corner which allowed Redruth’s powerful mauling game to come into play. It wasn’t long before a couple of quickfire tries enabled the home side to establish a seventeen point to seven lead.

However, Henley came back and put their own pressure on the Redruth line and a chip through from Monty Bradbury saw Guy Rawsthorn take the ball well to score under the posts and with Bradbury converting the lead had been cut to 3 points and Henley were right back in the contest. The decisive moment occurred right on the stroke of half time when Sam Lunnon was shown a yellow card for perceived foul play. From the resulting pressure, the home side were able to once again establish a ten-point lead after a powerful catch and drive.

The second half went much the way of the first as Redruth once again laid siege to the Henley line. When any relief came Henley were guilty of unforced handling errors which allowed the hosts to maintain pressure positions. Two quick tries in the space of eight minutes effectively finished any chance of Henley getting back into the contest. Both of their were converted.

However, a bright point of the afternoon saw the best try of the game coming as an attacking move saw Reuben Norville step outside his opposite defender and run twenty yards before getting the return pass to Alex Harmes who went in under the posts. However, any hope of recovery was gone as the Redruth man of the match, scrum half Jack Oulton went over for his second try after some astute handling.

The final ten minutes belonged to Henley as they laid siege to the home side line. A score now would have brought some consolation in the form of a bonus point. There was a moment when the referee had to consult with the assistant referee only for Henley to have been adjudged to knock the ball on inches short of the line.

A disappointing performance but credit must go to Josh Macco for a debut game in an unfamiliar position in the front row. The young prop held up well against his experienced counterpart and gained a good deal of credit for his performance.

Henley: Rawsthorn, Norvill, Barbarinsa, Davies, Harmes, Bradbury, Gilbey, Macco, Emery, Mason, Albon (c), Harrison, Lunnon, Lowe, Bradley. Reps: Hall, White, Glass, Cookland, Adejemi.

Report by Nigel Dudding and Photo by Steve Karpa