Inside Insurance – Do You Need Specialist Home Cover?

Renewing your home insurance for an unconventional house could prove more difficult than a standard one.  You may need specialist home insurance for a host of reasons which might be from how your home is constructed to where it’s located or even how you plan to use it.

For example, you might have a thatched roof or particularly valuable possessions, live in flood-risk area or run a business from your home e.g. an Air B&B.

Other reasons might be that you leave your property unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time or your property might have subsidence history or your property is a listed building.

With many houses listed in Henley, you’ll need permission to carry out repairs or alterations. Most listed buildings are over 100 years old and if they’re damaged will require specialist trades people and bespoke materials, making them much more expensive to repair than modern homes.

Thatched properties can be a fire hazard and for this reason they’re regarded as higher risk than slates or tiles by insurance providers. Thatching is also a highly specialist trade, which can make them expensive to repair.

If your have a high value property or your belongings are particularly valuable, you may need ‘high net-worth’ home insurance. Whether you have a home cinema, a gym, art collection, or expensive jewellery, cover will need to be arranged for individual items or collections that are worth more than the limits included on standard home insurance policies.

To take the headache out of checking the policy covers or spending hours on the phone to insurance companies, ManningUK in Henley offer a great personal service and take out the stress of finding the right policy for your home.

To contact them please telephone Harry McEwen on 01491 578759 or email


Leave a Comment

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *