Community Gem Sadly Passes

David Rodger-Sharp, the owner of the jewellers in Market Place, has sadly passed away over the weekend.

He was born on 25 June 1984 at Stonehenge, the last baby to be delivered there to celebrate the summer solstice when his mother Maxine went into premature labour. He moved from Edinburgh to Henley in 2018 to take over the Henley Goldsmith shop in Duke Street.

David was nominated for 3 awards in the Henley Herald Champion awards in 2020 for his charity work and his first class customer service. He was always so generous and kind to people in the local community.

In February 2020, David joined up with Clive Hemsley to re-ignite and re-launch the bridge lights project coming up together with the new branding ‘Make Henley Shine’.  The Make Henley Shine group have been working together since then to submit a new full planning application 2 weeks ago.

During the pandemic, David donated masks to care homes and raised money for the NHS, donated watches to the Nomad Christmas appeal and in partnership with the Herald ran a rainbow jewellery competition which was won by Megan Bowsher who was presented with her design on a necklace pendant. He also offered his empty shop on Bell Street to local artisans for a pop-up Christmas gift shop in December 2020 and replaced a ring worth around £200 which was lost by Eve Lloyd on her way home in July 2020.  Just some of the known things he did during this difficult time.

In February 2021, David and his business partner saved Lawlor’s the Bakers and opened a sushi and bakery shop on Duke Street.  The shop however closed in 2022 after his business partner who ran the shop became ill.

David was a passionate retailer and key member of the retailers’ forum who was always looking to promote the town to bring in more visitors to build the local economy.

David moved his jewellers to Market Place this year in the former Henley Art Gallery and in June presented the Mayor with a new chain of office after his jeweller had been working on it for 18 months, making no charge for the work.

David was true community gem and will sadly be missed by so many.

Our thoughts are with David’s family and friends at this very sad and difficult time.

If you would like to leave a personal message to the family and friends, please leave in the comment box below.

1. Mrs Rosalind Steed says:

Such a tragic loss he did so much for the town a helpful kind man condolences to his Family & Friends gone too soon RIP

2. Mark Williams says:

Such a nice,helpful man.Once he went out of his way to deliver my watch back,after a service,brought it all the way to my home as my car was in for service at the time.
    Rey sad to hear this,condolences to his family and friends.

3. Anthony Mogford says:

Devastating news,
    Such a lovely,fun man.
    Heard the news today and felt such shock and upset
    A huge loss. Our thoughts to David’s husband all the family and friends ❤️

4. Dominic Littlefair says:

Both my wife and I are very, very sorry to hear this news. He was a great man in our local area and was so very kind, knowledgeable and generous to us. The world is a poorer place without him. ☹️

5. Ursula Shiels says:

So shocked to hear this sad news. He was such a gentleman. My sincere thoughts and condolences with his friends and family

6. Maxine Sharp says:

Thank you for these lovely messages and the calls and messages me and my family have received from Henley David was so happy there it truly felt like from Maxine his mum Laura his sister and of course John

7. Rosie says:

I’m so grateful for the big hugs we shared on Saturday. Im in pure disbelief! Sending love and warmth to those hurting. Xx

8. Stacey Hubbard says:

This is absolutely devastating to hear. Our thoughts are with his loved ones. What a loss to society, our town and the world in general. RIP David.

9. Alison Letts says:

Devastated by this news. David was a truly special person. He contacted me once a few years back when my youngest son was ‘set upon’ on his way home from a night out with friends and told him to come in and choose a watch !
    I’ve never forgotten that kindness. Rest well dear soul x

10. Kieron Thatcher says:

So sad to hear the sad news David was a good friend of mine , he had a unique sense of humour
    David was a diamond and shone so bright
    Kieron Victoria

11. Jim Barrowmeand says:

Very sorry to hear of David’s passing. A true gent who I enjoyed chatting watches with on many occasions. Rest in peace.

12. Fiona Chapman says:

Such sad news . David always went out of his way to help those in need. He will be greatly missed in the community. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

13. Julie Dyer says:

So very sad. A very generous, kind man who did so much for our community. Will be sorely missed. He was so kind to me when helping me to decide what to do with my late mothers jewellery. Will think of him every time I wear it. Condolences to all his family.