Henley Ladies Lose Out to Eastcote

Henley Ladies 2 Eastcote 4

After Henley Ladies 1st team’s triumph win last week confidence was at an all time high when they went into their game on Saturday at home against Eastcote.

The match began with the London based team immediately on the attack putting pressure on Henley’s tenacious defence. The amber and blues battled to resist an early goal with some great tackles put in by Georgie Metcalfe and Mel Lennard, but in a congested D Eastcote managed to have a strike at goal hitting the post and subsequently slotting the ball behind a helpless Jen Sawyer in goal. This awoke Henley who then came back fighting.

The dynamics of the game quickly changed with Henley now on the attack. Matilda Engelmark stepped up to put pressure on the Eastcote defence which consequently won Henley their first short corner. The amber and blues were determined to take advantage of this opportunity and presented a well executed corner with an outstanding strike by Rachel Herbert at the top of the D to make the game level headed. Henley ladies continued their battle, quickly winning another short corner with Georgie Metcalfe pushing a sublime ball out to Herbert who passed it into space on the right allowing Cleo Lyn to fire an unstoppable ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal. However, a dip in Henley’s concentration unfortunately then allowed Eastcote to even out the scores by the half-time whistle.

The second half of the game saw Henley determined to win back their lead. The outstanding stick skills of Kat Green and Louise England down the centre of the pitch allowed Henley to have multiple attacking short corners. However, despite Henley’s variety, they were unable to convert any of them into goals. With both teams determined to add three points to their league tally, tensions were raised; this lead to card-happy umpires sending 3 Henley and 2 Eastcote players off the pitch. With this disruption Henley ladies were unable to keep their composure which the London based team took to their full advantage unfortunately ending the game with a 4-2 lead.