Henley Fire Station are holding an On Call Firefighters ‘Have a Go’ Recruitment Day on Sunday 23 April with three sessions at 10am, 12 noon and 2pm at the fire station in West Street.
The tests that people will be able to complete include:
- Climbing a 13.5m ladder on the drill tower before doing a ‘leg lock’, which involves wrapping a foot around a rung and leaning backwards.
- Pull a 70kg dummy around a course
- Carry heavy items from one side of the yard to the other
- Seeing how strong your grip is
- Running out a length of hose before rolling it back up
- Putting on the Breathing apparatus and fire kit to see what it feels like
Marcus Reay, Station manager for Henley, Goring, Watlington and, Wallingford, said: “We are asking members of the public to come down and have a go at the tests they will be doing at selection. It’s making sure they are not frightened of heights and testing their strength and cardio fitness. The real tests will be a little harder but we wanted to give them a bit of encouragement and a chance to complete the tests as some people may have never considered that they could actually do the role of a firefighter.
For more information or to book a place contact Nick Windsor on 07775 827256 or Nick.Windsor@Oxfordshire.gov.uk