The guest speaker, Sarah Loveday was this month’s speaker at the Henley Probus Club Meeting. Sarah is the Senior Client Liaison Manager at Cliveden Manor Care Home, Marlow and gave a talk entitled Dementia Awareness was on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Society. The talk involved a high degree of audience participation.
The key messages arising from the talk were:
- Dementia is not a natural part of ageing
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
- Dementia is not just about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks
- It is possible to live well with dementia
- There is more to a person than the dementia
At the close of the meeting, Sarah was given a very warm vote of thanks for her talk by the members.
Forthcoming events for the Club include a visit to the Mill at Sonning in January to attend Singing in the Rain and a visit to the tulip fields in Holland in April 2020.
Henley Probus Club meets at 1100 at Badgemore Golf Club on the second Tuesday of each month; the next meeting is 11 February, 2020. If you are interested in coming along please contact Roger Griffiths on 01491 575137.