Fire at Watermans Allotments

Update 1317

Crew Manager, Michael Clarke said, “The cause of the fire was an unattended bonfire.  We arrived in attendance with fire smoking and spreading to further allotments.  We used a hose reel to stop the spread and suppress the fire.  We filled another water tank to put the fire out.  We’ve used approximately 3,600 litres of water.  We strongly advise not to leave bonfires unattended particularly in this heat to avoid this.”

There has been damage to couple of plots and their polytunnels.

Secretary of the Allotment, Sharon Oldham said, “I was called by the Town Hall about the fire.  I will be in touch with people who have been affected by the fire and trying to help them.”

Witness Barry Taylor said, “One or two people with hoses were trying to stop it spreading too far.  The fire brigade turned up very quickly, so thumbs up to them.  They first doused surrounding plots to stop fire spreading, then dealt with the main fire.”


The fire service have been called to Watermans allotments on the Reading Road around 15 mins ago 1145 today (Wednesday) to a large fire.

A witness has said there is damage to a shed and crops.

More updates will be posted.


Photo: Barry Taylor