Festive Fire Safety Advice

Residents in Henley are being encouraged to enjoy the festive season in safety by adopting advice and tips from Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service.

Advice covers topics such as festive lights, Christmas trees, candles and cooking.

Deb Forder, Community Safety Manager from Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The festive season is an opportunity to relax and spend time with family and friends. However, we should be vigilant to eliminate potential fire risks. Nobody wants to have their Christmas ruined because of a fire.”

Tips and advice includes:

  • Use LED lights as they do not get hot. Wiring should be checked to make sure it has not been damaged during storage. Switch off festive lights before going to bed or leaving the home.
  • Keep real Christmas trees watered, remembering that pines are a fire risk when they dry out.
  • Be careful not to leave real candles unattended. Candles should be placed on a heat resistant surface and in a secure candle holder. The battery operated variety is safer.
  • Take extra care to keep lit candles away from loose materials and paper decorations; anything that could easily catch fire. Candles should also be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
  • Be aware that cooking can be a fire risk at any time. Don’t leave food unattended that is simmering or on the boil.

Deb Forder added: “Smoke alarms aren’t just for Christmas, so please check regularly, throughout the year, that they are working properly. If you have mains operated alarms, why not give them a festive present in the form of a new back up battery? We encourage residents to have a smoke alarm on each floor of their home.”

Further fire safety advice is available at 365alive.co.uk



Leave a Comment

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *